Makeup Temptation, Justification & Regret

08:00

Temptation
Now I am the sort of person who is tempted easily, by anything. Show me something, anything (pretty) and leave it under my nose, and it doesn't take long for it to be a must have item for me.
It's basically a complete disaster and it means that I see something, start thinking about it and then don't stop thinking about it until I buy it. It's basically why a lot of my obsessions start I think, I'm very easily swayed - an advertisers dream.
Maybe I need to work on that...

Justification
I saw a post on the Temptalia Community recently that was titled How do you justify your makeup purchases? The first response basically covered all points and loosely translates to this:

1.) Will I get a lot of use out of this product?
2.) Do I truly love or need it?
3.) Will it cripple me financially?
4.) How unique is it? Is it Limited Edition?
5.) How well did it review?

This is basically THE perfect way to work out whether you should buy something.

A couple of Mondays ago, I needed a pick me up as I was feeling a little down.
I ordered the YSL Poudre Compact Radiance Powder in Shade 01 Universelle (longest name ever) that was on my February Wishlist...oh dear. My justification at the time was that I felt down and wanted to buy myself something, mainly because my Dad would have bought it for me without a second thought.
YSL Poudre Compact Radiance Powder in Shade 01 Universelle
 But I thought it would be interesting to see if I could justify it using those rules.

1.) Will I get a lot of use out of this product?
Yes, I only have one other pressed powder and one loose powder and it's different to both of those.
2.) Do I truly love or need it?
I do love it, I haven't stopped thinking about it since I chose not to get it at the YSL counter at the end of January.
3.) Will it cripple me financially?
Well no, maybe. It was slightly too much to spend, but RRP £36 and I got it for around £30 with a discount and cashback.
4.) How unique is it? Is it Limited Edition?
It's Limited Edition, which is part of the reason it's been playing on my mind.
5.) How well did it review?
Not many reviews as it's LE, but all seem to be good.

Overall, I think I might have swung the justification there.
YSL Poudre Compact Radiance Powder in Shade 01 Universelle
I could go on and put everything I've bought in the past couple of months through this. I feel like I could almost justify anything to myself if I try hard enough though.
But I definitely will be thinking these things through a little more for future purchases, unless I'm having a terrible BUY ALL THE THINGS day.

Regret
I am always plagued with regret if I don't buy a product, usually I end up thinking about it so much that I give in and buy it. Terrible.
I have a big makeup regret weighing on my mind currently that I cannot rectify...last Wednesday Debenhams had £10 off the Urban Decay Vice 4 Palette. I looked at it and thought, nah too bright for me. Of course I decided to look at reviews of it and of course I was sucked in, I thought it would be nice to have a palette with some good neutrals and a few brighter colours so that I can try to mix it up a little.
Also that packaging.
Urban Decay Vice 4 Palette
So I added it to my basket. Then I plugged in my Debenhams Beauty Card details and realised I had £5 credit, so a palette that should have cost £43 was going to cost me £28.
I ummed and ahhed a bit more and then talked myself out of it, I didn't need it, I could get one of the Naked Palettes or Too Faced Chocolate Bar palettes instead and I'd use them so much more.
I left it and went to bed. I woke up in the morning SO FULL OF REGRET.
And now it's too late and I feel like I missed out on a fantastic deal. Looking at the pictures of the palette make me sad.

Maybe the lesson that I've learnt here is to just buy everything I want, it makes me happy.
Shut up Jenny, that's an awful idea.

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow on Instagram

Follow on Twitter