My Wedding Makeup

15:03


In my previous blog I touched on the idea of doing my own makeup for our wedding here and here.

As someone who had no clue about makeup 8 months ago, the challenge of learning how to do a whole face of makeup was overwhelming. I remember going to Boots and trying to look around the makeup counters, but something as basic as the idea of different finishes and shades of foundation had never occurred to me. I left, nearly in tears, terrified at what I'd got myself into.
When we got home, my future husband marched me back out the door and down to our local Debenhams with the intention of is going to the Bare Minerals counter (a random pick) to find out more. There was no one on the Bare Minerals counter, but an amazingly lovely lady from the Clinique counter helped me out, and that was the start of it.

I feel very proud of myself for how much I've learnt in such a short time and I think that I did a pretty damn good job of learning and doing my own makeup for the day. I was really happy how it turned out and even my husband, who hates makeup, said that he liked it. The best things are, now I have loads of gorgeous makeup (and I want more) and I've learnt a new skill!


I thought I would do a breakdown of the products that I used and then I might do a Youtube tutorial of the whole look. I'm playing with the idea of setting up a youtube to go with this blog and my instagram.

Prep
I starting getting ready near enough right out the shower, I'd already washed my face in the shower. I can't remember what face wash exactly, but I've been trying to use facewash with charcoal in it.
Once I was out I put on some Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Gel, and as Jaclyn Hill recommends, I left it for around 30 minutes before putting on any makeup (this was thrown on in the middle of having my hair done!)
.
Prime
A couple of sprays of Urban Decay All Nighter and then once that had dried I put on some Clinique Superprimer Face Primer in Universal.

Foundation
Clinique Superbalanced Makeup in Alabaster, I find that this isn't too heavy and only provides a light coverage, as my skin is generally quite good. It's also a really good colour match for me


Concealer
I borrow a little YSL Touche Eclat for under my eyes to brighten them, not sure on the shade, but I'm planning on getting my own so I'll at least know which shade is a match for me! I was planning on using Benefit Boi-ing in 01, but I find it a little too heavy for me, it tends to settle into my pores and crease under my eyes.

Powder

Bronzer
I used Bobbi Brown Bronzer in Golden Light in the hollows of my cheeks, my temples and jawling, dusting the remaining over my face. Then I used Benefit Hoola to deepen.



Blush
I used a combo of Bobbi Brown Blush in Desert Pink and NARS Dolce Vita (which I LOVE), I definitely packed on the blush to much more than I'd normally wear. It's the first thing that you loose from your makeup and I was a blushing bride after all.

Highlight
Mary-Lou Manizer by TheBalm on cheekbones, a little on my nose and to highlight my brow.

Brows
Maybelline Brow Satin in Medium Brown. Literally the only drug store makeup I still use (expect the odd cheap eyeliner or mascara), but so impressed with this, I'm not really up on my brows so I needed something simple but effective. Especially as brows are super important when in comes to makeup and then when you add glasses to the equation, even more important!
Also worth adding that a few days before I had my brows tinted and waxed at the Benefit Brow Bar, highly recommended!



Eye Primer

Eye Shadows
I wanted to create a warm and shimmery look, that wasn't too overpowering. I used the Urban Decay Naked Palette. I used Naked all over the lid then put a little of Buck in the crease. I then patted Toasted all over my eyelid and put a little of Hustle in the outer corner and pulled it into the crease to deepen the look and give it a little dimension. I didn't put anything on my lower lashline, as it tends to make my eyes water A LOT. Mary Lou-Manizer in the inner corners

Eyeliner
Teddy Khol liner by MAC, a loved bronzey, brown, shimmery eyeliner. I love, love LOVE this eyeliner. Perfect for my eye look.

Mascara
Benefit Roller Lash, several coats, wiping the brush before each coat.



Lip Liner

Lipstick
MAC Matte Lipstick in Mehr. I don't like shiny lipsticks and I love MAC, so I knew it had to be a matte or satin finish. I knew I also didn't want to wear anything too pinky, as that's not really my style. With my statement dress, veil and flowers I needed something that didn't get lost. Mehr is quite a deep colour on me and nicely mirrored the colours running through my flowers.

Setting Spray

Brushes
I used primarily Real Techniques brushes, but also some Lamora eye brushes that I got as an Amazon freebee!
Mouisturiser and Primer - applied with fingers
Foundation - RT Expert Face Brush
Powder - RT Blush Brush
Bronze - RT Cheek Brush (from Nic's Picks Set)
Blend - RT Buffing Brush (a fresh one)
Highlight - RT Setting Brush (cheeks and nose) and Lamora Small Shader Brush for Brows and Inner Corners
Eyes - Primer with my ring fingers, RT Base Shadow Brush for matte base, Lamora Classic Shader Brush to pack on shadow to lid, RT Base Shadow Brush (from Nic's Picks) to deepen outer corner and crease, Lamora Blending Brush and RT Deluxe Crease Brush to blend.

Also let me add, by some TOTAL miracle, I didn't have any spots on my weddings day - winner!



I would encourage anyone who is thinking about doing their own makeup for their wedding to go for it, yes you have to invest some time and money, but it was so worth it and so rewarding. Plus I found it really calming on the day to go through the practised routine of putting on my makeup.

That's it then folks.
Keep your eyes peeled for this potential youtube tutorial. That's if I can work out how to film and then stand listening to my own voice whilst I edit.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Follow on Instagram

Follow on Twitter